Sunday, February 26, 2012

Chapter 8 Reflections: They Snooze You Lose by Lynell Burmark

Music is almost like another language that speaks to people on another level other than spoken language. It is very true that music can spark all of your senses and recall long hidden memories in your brain. How often have you heard a song played on the radio that takes you back to a certain time and place in your life? For some reason, music helps our brains to quickly recover memories that have been lying dormant. Not only the memory, but feelings associated with that memory. As Burmark says, it can be “mood altering” (Burmark, 2011, Kindle Location 2820). One example of this is my son’s eighth grade orchestra winter performance. They played the song “Sleigh Ride” by Leroy Anderson, and for the life of me, I can’t remember anything else about that day, but I do remember the feeling I got when that song played. I was so proud of my son for that outstanding performance. The music was awesome and hearing his cello along with the other instruments just gave me the chills. I was in awe of that performance. It has been 6 years since that day, but today whenever I hear that song, it takes me back to that unforgettable performance and I feel that pride again.
I have used music in the classroom for various things and have found it to be very helpful. I would play music over my ipod in the morning when the children came in to the class. My favorite to play was “Celebrate” by Earth, Wind, & Fire. It really got the kids in a good mood and helped them be motivated to organize their materials for the day. I would use calming music during silent reading time like a quiet instrumental. Marching band music is a good one when it is time to line up. Music when used properly can have a desired effect on most.

Burmark, Lynell (2011-06-28). They Snooze, You Lose: The Educator's Guide to Successful Presentations (Kindle Location 2820). John Wiley and Sons. Kindle Edition.

No comments:

Post a Comment